BootsnAll is one of my premier go-to sites for travel related information. For anyone contemplating a RTW (round the world) trip. This is the place to start. In 2012 BootsnAll will be issuing one challenge/task/subject each week in 2012 for bloggers to write about.
If you’ve traveled in Asia, what’s your favorite destination? Share a story of one of your best experiences in Asia, or tell us about a place you love.
If you’ve never been to Asia, tell us about your dream trip in the region. Would you rather find your own paradise among the Thai Islands, or shop for crazy Harajuku fashion in Japan? Are the uncrowded temples of Burma calling you, or are you dreaming of a visit to China’s Great Wall?
We want to hear what you love, or would love to see, in Asia.
This weeks prompt brings up so many exciting thoughts. Asia is the world’s largest and most populous continent, located primarily in the eastern and northern hemispheres. It covers 8.7% of the Earth’s total surface area (or 30% of its land area) and with approximately 3.879 billion people, it hosts 60% of the world’s current human population (per Wikipedia).
Although I have technically been in Asia…my travels in Vietnam were only skimming the surface of this great expanse of land. I’m days away from leaving for South America, yet in the corner recesses of my mind looms the BIG Trip of 2013. Visions flow through my mind’s eye as I think about Asia and 2013. Knowing where to start putting it down in writing is where it becomes difficult. Brainstorming some of what I hope to see and do might be easiest….
– Mongol Rally: Just a simple (or not so simple) Road Trip across the Gobi Desert. Crazy! Yes, and I can’t wait!
– Spend the night in a Yurt. The Mongolians are nomadic people and I feel that I have something in common with them….kindred spirits of a sort.
– Great Wall of China: I don’t just want to see it, I want to hike it, have lunch on it, explore the ruins of it, watch the sun rise and set from it, and sleep at the base of it!
– Taking passage on a Container Ship in Shanghai: It’s on the list! (BTW, anytime I hear the word Shanghai I immediately thin of the underground documentary I saw years ago about being “Shanghai’ed” and ever since then, it’s something I want to explore more of the history of.) Traversing the ocean via ship just has a certain appeal to it.
– Cambodia: A distinct desire to learn more about the trials of the people during the Khmer rouge and explore the ruins of Angkor Wat.
– Finding a place to volunteer or teach english. I need to make a contribution.
– Thailand: Long warm days lounging on the beach and Tuk Tuk rides!
– See a Giant Panda up close.
– immerse myself in the religious and cultural distinctions in Nepal and India.
These are the things that immediately come to mind. I know that there is so much more to see, do, and explore in Asia. Some would argue that my list is a bit shallow. Others may say that it’s a little optimistic. There are many that would suggest my list include different sights, or activities. No matter what your interest. I’m certain that in a land mass that encompasses 30% of the total of the Earth’s land…there is something for everyone.
Do you have dreams of traveling to Asia? Where would you go? What would you do? Have you been to Asia? Share your stories with me…